Friday, November 21, 2008

From the Mouths of Babes

In the Church Meeting Room, in the the same hall where I played Human Water Fountain three weeks before, I was in line with about 100 parents and their Pre-K"ers" for their Thanksgiving Potluck. Lots of really good Thanksgiving style food awaited us.

The Principal and I were talking and I feel this tug on my shoulder. I turned around to see a Pre-K"er" sibling being held by a man standing behind us. I said, "Hi."

She cut to the chase. No small talk. From the mouths of babes she says, "My Papa has a belly almost as big as yours."

Thanks kid. Can't wait to have you in school next year. All I could muster out was, "That's really neat."

What? That's really neat? That's all I could come back with? I had met my match. My wit was no match for her honesty.

I smiled at her Papa, whom I assume was the one holding her. The Principal was cracking up.

"I have write that one down," I said to The Principal. "Something I can tell my fellow Losers (partners in our staff's Biggest Losers weight reduction and denial group).

We finally made our way through the buffet. The raw broccoli, carrots and 1/2 piece of ham were delicious.

Just kidding - I ate all the bad stuff. After all, I have a reputation to maintain.

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: